It’s that time of year again, when we head off for family visits or that well-deserved annual holiday. With a little forward planning, your home and personal property will be safe and secure for your return.
- Check all taps and laundry hoses for leaks and turn them off, if appropriate;
- Store your valuables in a safety deposit box;
- Move valuable items out of view and if possible, close curtains and/or blinds;
- Use an automatic timer for lamps or lights which are visible from outside the house. This makes it seem as though there is someone at home;
- Securely park and lock your vehicle, ensuring there are no valuables on display;
- Ask a friend/family member/neighbour to collect your mail or contact Australia Post to ‘hold’ your mail;
- Cancel any newspaper or magazine deliveries;
- Inform trusted neighbours of your travel arrangements and they may put out (and return) your rubbish bins;
- Clear your gutters;
- Mow and tidy lawns and gardens;
- Shut, lock and bolt all external doors and windows;
- Cut down any overhanging branches surrounding the property;
- Turn on your alarm – notify the Security Monitoring Company of your travel arrangements and provide an alternative contact, if appropriate;
- Check locks on all outside gates, garden shed etc;
- Make sure your Insurance is up-to-date and check on acceptable un-occupancy periods with the Insurer; and
- Prepare a list of emergency contacts to take on your holiday, including the details of your Insurance.
We wish you and your family a safe and merry Festive Season and a prosperous New Year.